Saturday 28 February 2009

Awareness

I've been asking myself why I am writing this Blog. Is it just for the benefit of anyone who happens to read it? I've come to the conclusion that it is as much for my own benefit as that of anyone else. I really enjoy the discipline of asking 'Where has God been in my week?' and then putting something together in print. It is a modern form of the prayer of Examen, I guess, and helps me to discern the hand of God in the ordinary things of my ordinary life. I'm more and more convinced that this kind of awareness is an essential aspect of the spiritual life. It makes God more 'present', but it does take discipline to notice his activity in the small things. I think as well that it helps us to be alert to the movements of God in daily life, and to be more aware of what he is doing, so we can respond accordingly. Jacob discovered that he was sleeping at the very gateway to heaven without realising it. 'Surely the Lord is in this place, and I knew it not.' I don't want to go through life with my spiritual eyes shut. Do you?

1 comment:

  1. Its good to keep a blog because people can see how God has been working in your life :) Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete