Friday 16 April 2010

Where have you been?

You may well ask. I've neglected my blog over the last two months. Someone recently said that a blog should be updated every week, and I can see the point, but I don't think I would ever be able to keep that up and do all the other things I do. So at the moment 'intermittent' is the best I can achieve.

Anyway the silent weeks have in fact been very significant. We were looking forward to a two week holiday in Perth, Australia, with our son Alistair in February, followed by two weeks of ministry in Singapore. Two days before we left, Evelyn my wife had news that she has breast cancer. As you can imagine this was a real shock. We were advised that it would be OK to go ahead with the trip, which we did, and it was a marvellous time; but as soon as we returned Evelyn went into hospital for surgery.

I'm glad to report that the operation was successful, less invasive than we feared, and that they said there was no further trace of cancer. However, she will have a course of chemo therapy, starting next week - six treatments, one every three weeks. It will be a long journey for her.
What has been amazing to us both is how God has helped us through this period, and given us a deep sense of peace.

We have noticed the timing of God. Her operation coincided with a 'blank' two weeks in my diary, something that doesn't normally happen.

Then we were strengthened by the word of God, the beginning of Psalm 71 in particular for me, and Zephaniah 3:17 for Evelyn.

Added to this, the compassion and generosity of God came to us through our friends, both in Singapore and here in Ackworth, where we worship.

Finally we have been conscious of the presence of God, mediated to us through the prayers of his people around the world. Sometimes you can almost 'feel' prayer, and that is how it has been for us.

This is not meant to be a sermon, but a testimony. We are optimisitic for a good outcome, but are not underestimating the challenge ahead. Faith has to be worked out in real life situations, and it comes alive when we face difficulties; otherwise it lies dormant and can stagnate.

No comments:

Post a Comment