Tuesday 31 March 2009

Holy Pottering

I've been pottering today. It's what I do when I'm really tired and can't concentrate on important tasks. I've had a really hectic spell on the road and arrived back on Sunday afternoon feeling shattered. I don't often reach such a point of emptiness, but I did on Sunday, so I'm grateful for a gentler week ahead of me, and the time to potter.
Someone, for whom English is not their mother tongue, asked me what it means to potter. The dictionary says to potter is to work in a lesiurely manner, to dawdle, to take one's time. I find it really helpful sometimes to spend my time doing 'little things', and to do them slowly. Like tidying my desk, putting my books away, re-organising my rucksack.
Doing things that aren't high priority requires less of an effort, and when we do them at a leisurely pace we find that are souls have time to catch up with our bodies and we can come back to a place of wholeness and integration.
A wise friend once spoke to me about 'holy pottering', and I guess that's what I've been doing today. It feels really good. Why not try it?

1 comment:

  1. My way of pottering is reading blogs, watching movies and going shopping. Of course, the best is going on a nice holiday!

    ReplyDelete